These classes are the start for qualification for an Apprentice Level Certificate from the Artist Blacksmith’s Association of North America, and also the California Blacksmith’s Association Level I Certificate.
These classes are run through the auspices of the California Blacksmith’s Association. Participants will need to join the association to be covered by the insurance. You can join at class, or go to www.calsmith.org to join online.
Dates are subject to change. Keep an eye out for emails about schedule changes
- Safety glasses or sun glasses.
- Gloves can be useful, but not necessary.
- Cross Peen hammer, about 2½ lbs.
- Sometimes called a blacksmiths hammer. Sears makes a very good one. Also Harbor Freight has them...much less money...but you get what you pay for.
- Ball Peen hammer, about 1 lb. (16 oz. As they are marked usually)
- Sears has very good ones....Harbor Freight...usable and much cheaper.
- Vise Grips or large pliers can be handy...you can get by without for now.
- Some matches or a lighter doesn’t hurt....seems no one has a light when you need one.
- Also some newspaper to light your fire is a good idea.
- And if you’re sensitive to dust...a dust mask doesn’t hurt